Friday, January 12, 2007

Exercise and the Grad Student

In a wild attempt to lose the 5 pounds I gained last term, and continue losing weight, I have decided to walk and/or ride my bike whenever possible. To help me with this, I have created a training log at Buckeye Outdoors. It's the same one my friend Nina uses to log her runs.

I did fairly well this week, and can only hope to do just as well next week. I have found that it's much easier to ride to school than to ride home from school. Unfortunately, the weather turned bitter cold on Wednesday, and I was afraid to ride my bike on icy streets, as Navigator cracked some ribs a couple years ago doing just that.

I'm also considering purchasing a heart rate monitor. My former roommate Bandanna has one, and she claims that it has turned her normally mundane bike commute into a super-fun workout.

My practicum is located in Milwaukie, which is quite a jaunt from here, but I found that if I take a 1-hour bus ride there, I can ride my bike from practicum to class, mostly on a bike trail. The distance is roughly 8.5 miles, which is an easy 45 minute ride. I'm meeting with the team I will be working with for my practicum this afternoon, so hopefully I will be able to work something out with them.

I have not yet decided if I'm going to sign up for yoga this term. Navigator thinks it will be good for me. I think it will be good for me, but I'm afraid I will miss as many classes this term as I did last term. We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Waterfall said...

Is your online log public? What name is it stored under?

Good luck with the exercise plan!

Waterfall said...

Duh. I found it. The code word this time is gagub.