Monday, June 05, 2006

My Advisor's Response

I got a response from my advisor. She signed her e-mail with her first name, so I don't think I offended her. Here is the e-mail I sent to her:


My husband & I have been discussing the part-time timeline the past few days and he brought up the option of me switching to full-time, provided everything with his job goes as we would hope. So I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to switch to full-time status for the program,or is there a set number of students allowed?

2) If it is possible,when is the absolute last date that one could switch?

3) If one was to be in the full-time program, would it be too grueling for that person to sub for Head Start or as an Ed Assist. sub for the ESD for 15 or so hours per week?

Before we discuss our options any more, I'd like to know if it even is an option.

I also have another question that I started thinking about after our meeting last Tuesday. It's about getting licensed in Elementary Special Ed. as well. I know you mentioned that we could take the added classes while we're finishing up our Master's requirements.

1) What would the extra requirements be if I wanted to add that endorsement as ell?
2) Would it be a full-time or part-time load?

Thirdly, I've been thinking about the Autism certificate. I have no questions about it, I've just been thinking about it. I just wanted to give you fair warning. :)

This is the response I got today:

I think you have been doing a lot of thinking and discussing. Since the program for summer is the same for PT and FT, you can make the decision to switch as late as early September. The push will be to have a practicum placement ready in the FALL if you decide to switch. Just keep thinking and let me know.

As for adding EL to EI, that will have to wait until you complete the EI, if you switch to FT. You could take some EL classes next summer while working on your master's courses.

The autism program is a certificate, not an added endorsement.

So there you have it. I have a lot to think about. I'm going to list pros and cons and probably end up picking full time regardless because that's the way I've been feeling since orientation, but I like to make pro/con lists anyway.





No comments: