Thursday, June 15, 2006

Reunion Weekend



Last weekend was my 10 year at the University of Dayton. It was a blast. The University has changed so much since I was last there - new buildings, new dorms, a new rec center, my house has been demolished for a fancy apartment complex/art studio called "ArtStreet." It made me wish I was an undergrad again, starting out at UD. the only new thing we had when I was attending school there was the Jessie Phillips Humanities Building with giant reliefs of William Shakespeare and Renee Descarts on the outside walls. Sigh.

The bookstore moved on me. It's in a new fancy-shmancy dorm and I didn't see one textbook in it. They're hidden upstairs, past all the UD logo smattered shirts, sweats, coffee mugs, travel mugs, keychains, posters, pennants, briefcases, and what-not. I purchased a $40 shirt. Just trying to do my part to help pay for all the new stuff.

I'm glad I went. It was good to see my old buddies and get back in touch with a few I'd forgotten. One of my friends is now teaching English at Western Oregon University. She lives 30 minutes south of me. We'll be doing a lot of hanging out and reciting poetry to each other this summer. I love reciting poetry. And reminiscing about Dr. Ruff. I miss that crazy old man.

Classes start in less than two weeks. I'm telling my boss tomorrow that I'm going full time. I spent most of this morning going over in my head all the possible things she can say/do to me when I tell her. I think I have all the proper arguments ready. I have a feeling she won't do anything I imagine. I have a feeling she'll be supportive. She's just that kind of lady.

No comments: